Thursday, March 11, 2010

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief Review

This review train is just chugging along with the next review: Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief.  WOO WOO!
In the midst of Hollywood going gaga over book to movie adaptations (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings) it seems like everyone is trying to copy off their success and this movie is both no different yet is different to all the other copycats out there.  The story follows Percy Jackson, your typical teenage kid until he finds out that his mom got it on with Posideon and he's actually a demigod similar to those in Greek Mythology.  Along with that we learned from the first 5mins that Zeus is missing his lightning bolt and blames Percy as the thief.  Zeus gives Percy 14 days to return the bolt, or else Zeus is going God Mode all over Olympus and Earth.

Percy isn't alone in his quest to find the bolt.  His best friend, protector, and Satyr - Grover and Demigod Annabeth join in him touring America to find clues as to who the lightning thief is while also saving Percy's mom from Hades.  Sound familar?  Like a certain boy wizard and friends?  Yeah...I didn't think so....

I think my biggest problem with the whole movie was how much Greek mythology is inside the U.S. according to the movie.  Medusa living in a garden shop in Maine?  Olympus' entrance is the top of the Empire State Building?  A secret demigod only training camp somewhere in the northeast?  The gateway to Hades is under the 'H' in Hollywood?  Really? 

Now blame me for not reading the books but I think the movie could have explained why most of Greece's mythology decided to pack their bags and come over to the U.S.  If you've read the books, please let me know.

Other than that I did enjoy the movie.  Most of the actors/actresses cast were good choices.  I do think that Hades could have been cast better, but only if they casted James Woods.  I loved his Hades in Hercules, and is still my favorite Hades (but not my favorite Devil, that's different).

Rating:  RIFF IT

Till Next Time,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment