Sunday, January 24, 2010

Heroes: Pass/Fail Review


Hey guys sorry this is going up later than usual but I have been swamped this week.  I know I liked this episode so lets just talk about Pass/Fail.
 
Mohinder recreates the compass so Noah can be able to find the carnival and then leaves to go back to India.  I am also glad we get a definitive answer about how the compass can only work in the hands of someone with abilities.  Hiro collapses from his Tumor an wakes up in a Trial for his life with many past characters such as Adam and Kaito.  Adam plays the prosecuting attorney and brings up instances in Hiro's life to prove he used his powers selfishly.   Hiro is proved to be guilty after Sylar is brought as a witness as proof that Hiro let him go free for Charlie's life and also Samuel's deal that lost Charlie in time.  On his way to death he changes his plea to guilty realizing he was irresponsible.  In the midst of death Hiro fights for his life and wins, which leads him to be healed by his mother.
 
I really enjoyed seeing all these dead characters come back, at least for the episode.  I really enjoyed Adam as the prosecuting attorney, it just kinds of make sense for him to be in that role.  I was surprised he didn't put himself as a witness to how Hiro abused his powers, but I'm ok with what I got.

We see Claire with Gretchen looking pretty down, I can see why after every thing that happened.  Claire goes to study only to find Sylar there to figure out why he needs her.  Surprisingly Claire is not really gung ho about helping Sylar, however he says he kidnapped Gretchen so her hand is forced.  After getting nowhere with her he decides to take what he wants through using Lydia's ability, weirdest Heroes kiss anyone!  Claire then stabs Sylar in the eye to finally get away from him.  She finds Gretchen and the two hide from Sylar (who is closing in), they have a conversation and Claire takes what she learned from Sylar to try to repair that relationship with Gretchen.  They talk about abilities and how they are excuses for your humanity and that maybe Sylar needs to purge his abilities to regain his humanity/ability to kill.  Gretchen turns into Sylar and Claire leaves to find the real Gretchen and takes what she learned to heart. 
 
I thought this was a good dynamic that Claire and Sylar had throughout their storyline.  Granted, when most of their "bonding" time was done Sylar was disguised as Gretchen, they both learned something about the other.  Like Sylar learned that Claire likes to follow up making out with stabbing you in the eye and Sylar likes to be a teenage girl at times.

Vanessa wakes up at the Carnival and is still kinda p/oed about being held at the carnival.  We see Samuel trying to woo her again and win her over.  It seems to be working for a little bit and Samuel takes her to their dream house which they dreamed about when they were younger.  However she rejects Samuel saying that it is just a dream and it is his dream.  This makes him heartbroken and angry/crazy, he goes out and destroys a town with a sinkhole.
 
It's good to see Samuel show a little more of a human side around Vanessa.  I liked seeing him happy, even though it was a false happiness.  I almost have to wonder if he knew that she wasn't going to go for all of what Samuel was preaching.  Though seeing the new, almost heartless Samuel destroy that poor little city almost drew a tear to my eye.

I gotta say I enjoyed this episode, I can feel it gearing up for the finale.  I really liked the Sylar and Claire stuff even though I am not usually a big Claire fan.  Their conversation is what they both needed to hear to get themselves back on track.  We see at the end the really bad, jaded Samuel, I think from now on he is going to be pure evil because it appears that any good intention he had went out the door with Vanessa.  I also liked seeing the old characters in Heroes trial, we even get allusions to everyone in season 1 that Sylar killed.  But I liked the fight between Adam and Hiro which ended with the same way that Hiro stabbed Sylar in Season 1.  Ok here is my theory about how Sylar gets to Matt, I believe that he owns a magical teleportation device that automatically lets him travel to California any time (remember the beginning of season 3?)

I'm going to agree with Razz, at least about it feeling like the finale is upon us.  With Samuel ready to bury the world under his feet for happiness and Sylar now on a quest to find his humanity through Matt, it all looks like it's going to build up to something that I hope is great.

Later & Til Next Time,
Mike & Razz

No comments:

Post a Comment