Thursday, January 7, 2010

Heroes: Upon This Rock & Let it Bleed Review


Ok so this week we had 2 episodes of heroes, what a way to come back!  Since there was so much story I am going to skip the usual way of recapping and just give a quick synopsis of each character and our thoughts on the episodes.

So we find that Hiro teleported to Japan after his fallout at the carnival.  And it turns out his brain was just sort of scrambled but he still knows what he is talking about as seen when he tries to tell Ando where to go find Mohinder.  It was really fun to listen to all of Hiro's Sci-fi refrences including everything from Star Wars to Sherlock Holmes.  Althogh one thing is confusing, why couldn't he just grab Ando and go to Mohinder?  It just seems like that would've been easier.
 
I have a theory as to why Hiro was messed up when he talked and could only make sci-fi and comic references.  As we all know by now, Hiro has a brain tumor that's messing up his ability.  I think that when the other Hatian character at the carnival messed with his memories, the tumor just further messed with Hiro's mind.  Other than that, I really enjoyed watching Hiro try to tell Ando about getting Mohinder out of the hospital.  It took me all of 3 seconds to get the references (what can I say, the nerd is strong in me) and I enjoyed watching Ando come to terms with some of his inner nerd to decrypt Hiro's message.  I agree though that the easier thing to do would just have Hiro teleport himself and Ando to Mohinder, but I guess that's too logical.

We see the return of Emma where she finally runs into Samuel.  He gets her to use her ability to find a guy, Ian, who can make things grow and help build the carnie's new home. I liked getting more understanding about her ability.  It seems now it is more like a hypnosis type thing along with being controlled by her emotions.
 
After seeing and learning more about Emma's ability, I must say it's rather cool.  When she's happy, and the blues, greens, and purples show up it's almost like a type of hypnosis like Razz said.  When she's angry and the red appears, it's like a sound laser or something.  Which is awesome in my opinion.

Now to Claire who seemed to be the main character in both of these episodes.  She finds her dads files in Samuels trailer and becomes suspicious of him, which makes everyone in the carnival out to get her.  This also includes the return of the evil Doyle, the best one in my opinion.  In Claire's search for answers she confronts Samuel who tells her that he was the one who killed Joseph. Claire just accepts this which makes me kind of wierded out at her that she is gullible enough to just believe the dribble that Samuel makes up, I mean seriously Claire!  But when she leaves the Carnival she learned that Angela and Noah covered up Nathan's death so I can kind of see why she has trust issues.
 
There are times when I watched these episodes thinking, "when did I start watching "Everyone loves Claire"?  I understand that we don't need to see each hero in every episode, but we just had two episodes without Matt Parkman.  If it weren't for Doyle being in the episodes I would have been more mad at this Claire centered welcome back.  I mean what is this, Season 2?

Sylar returns to the carnival and we get to see a showdown between Sylar and Samuel.  This ended badly for Sylar which surprised me but I did like Samuels dust storm.  He starts to be seduced by Lydia which I think was a ploy to get Zachary Quinto to take his shirt off for half the episode.  Sylar takes Lydia's power(the peter way) and leaves her after he sees through the agenda.  He makes Samuel ink him to show his true desire which turns out to be Claire.
 
I feel bad for Sylar in this episode.  He's lost his touch because he just couldn't kill Samuel.  I've never seen him stop to kill anyone, not even Elle and they were kind of a couple for a bit.  Overall it was nice to see old Sylar back, but I don't like he didn't kill at least one person this episode.  I mean he's INSIDE OF A CARNIVAL FULL OF SUPERS!

Noah returns to his Company man routes when he catches Darth Maul himself Edgar breaking into his house. All I have to say is Noah is a quick draw with that Tazer!  Lauren calms Noah down and tells him to show Kindness when dealing with Edgar instead of torture.  He gets a lot of answers from Edgar about the Carnival and Samuel but in the end Edgar wasn't able to betray the Carnival to take down Samuel.  Lauren really complements Noah with his interigation style and I like those two together.
 
All I can say here is that it's good to see my good and faithful HRG back.  Also, for a speedster, Edgar must not be that fast if HRG can turn and tazer him before he can reach him.

Peter starts becoming mopey again which as we've seen in the past usually doesn't end well.  Peter leaves Nathan's visitation to go stop a gunman, one way to greive I guess.  Claire gives him her ability and a shoulder to lean on which sort of brings Peter back down.  I was a little bit mad that Peter got rid of the Hatian's ability because if he wants to take down Sylar that was  the best ability to have.  We also got a West reference(flashback from season 2) who Peter ends up getting flight from.
 
I think that Peter needs a new thing to do in the show.  He's either the solution to the season's problems or mopey cause of some kind of angst.  Why can't we just get a Peter that's chill or relaxed about things?  On another note, was I the only one mad that we didn't get to see West?  I mean I don't have a crush on the guy, but just a quick scene of him wouldn't have been too bad seeing as you can't even put in Nathan's ex-wife and kids you can at least put West in for a few minutes right?

These were good episodes to be seen together because Claire and Nathan's funeral really connects both of these episodes.  I think I would not have liked them as much if they were separated like normal.  One last comment, where were Nathan's boys and his ex-wife?  I know that they were separated but you would think we would get some little cameo.  Also farewell to Adrain Pasdar you were a good cast member over the past four seasons and you will be missed, now perhaps time for Glee?
 
I have to agree with Razz here.  Granted I know I just ragged up there on how much Claire there was, but without her everything would be a little disconnected in my opinion.  I also agree that they should have shown Nathan's family other than Peter and Angela.  I mean, what kind of example is the mom setting if she won't let her sons go to their own father's funeral?  That's just plain fucked up.

See Ya & Till the Next Time
Mike & Razz 

No comments:

Post a Comment